1. Have another clinician write a guest post. As fun as it's been to monologue away, I'd like to get a few other people's perspectives on the blog. The goal is, of course, to foster thoughtful discussion on how technology can improve the care of older adults, from the perspective of clinicians with practical experience in providing health services to older adults.
2. Find a decent medication list application that I can recommend to patients and families. My biggest priority is that the app help patients keep track of *everything* that has prescribed by multiple providers, including hospitals and EDs. It also should list over-the-counter meds and supplements. (For more on why keeping track of medications is so important, see this post.)
- The must-have feature: medication entry (name and dosing instructions) that does NOT require laborious typing entry for most medications.
- Also required: app cannot be dependent on a single pharmacy chain or EMR system. Many of my patients change pharmacies or use multiple pharmacies. And most of them see providers in different health systems.
- Bonus points if it allows patients/providers to list the purpose of the medication -- imagine if every patient understood the purpose of every medication prescribed to him or her!
- Additional bonus points if the app keeps a history, including discontinued medications.
Note that I'm not looking for this app to serve the function of daily reminder (in part because so many of my patients use medisets). This is a nice feature, but my greatest need is to quickly see what the patient is supposed to be taking. I also want to know what the patient is actually taking, but for that purpose, I prefer to see the bottles themselves and be able to use a tool to help with medication reconciliation.
3. Shorter blog posts. Time for me to get better about being concise. Well, for January at least.
There is of course much more that I hope to do and learn in 2013 (so many interesting changes and innovations, so little time), but as far as resolutions go, these three will have to do.
In a nutshell:
This year I resolve to score a clinician-written guest post, to find a medication app worthy of recommending to patients, and to write shorter blog posts (for at least a short while).
If you've come across a medication app that might meet my needs, please comment or email me.